Knob and tube wiring was once a popular form of electrical wiring and was regularly used across the United States and North America between the 1880s and 1940s. The knob and tube wiring system is comprised of two insulated wires that run from the service panel to various fixtures throughout the home.
Several knob and tube replacements in Toronto have come onto the market since this type of wiring system is now considered obsolete. In fact, it’s so outdated that many homeowners today have never heard of knob and tube wiring. Interestingly, many historic homes still have it, as this wiring system is often tucked out of sight. Unfortunately, knob and tube wiring is often ignored but can pose several dangers.
A common question that many ask is, “why is knob and tube wiring dangerous“? The truth is there are several reasons this wiring can be dangerous, including:
Lack of a Ground Wire
Knob and tube wiring is incompatible with contemporary appliances and gadgets because it lacks a ground wire. Electronics are more likely to be damaged, putting your house and family at a higher risk of shock and fire.
Using knob and tube wiring in damp conditions or environments should be avoided as this wiring system is incompatible with moisture. It can be hazardous in locations that are prone to moisture, such as bathrooms, laundry rooms, kitchens, and utility closets.
Possibility of Being Overlooked
Heat should move unrestrictedly into the atmosphere in a knob and tube system. Due to possible home improvements made over time, knobs and tube wiring are often in contact with various building materials coated with insulation. However, according to The National Electric Code (NEC), knob and tube wirings should not be covered by or in contact with insulation and should not be used in attics, ceilings, or other hollow areas. Therefore, it is best to get reliable knob and tube replacements in Toronto.
There are several ways in which knob and tube wiring can be dangerous. The most dangerous issue associated with knob and tube wiring is its propensity for sparking fires. The insulation on these wires has often deteriorated over time, making them more susceptible to sparking when it comes into contact with flammable materials like wood or insulation. In addition, if an outlet isn’t properly grounded, arcing can occur when an appliance is plugged in or unplugged, which can also cause a fire. Other common ways knob and tube wiring can be dangerous include the following:
If you own a historic building and wish to check the knob and tube wiring safety in your home, call Canadian Wire Wizards today. We are an experienced and licensed electrician service offering quality home inspections and panel upgrades. Visit our website to learn more about our services today.